Monday, December 12, 2011

First Post Ever

Hello. I just created this blog, and because everyone I tell about my blog looks at it and says, "You haven't posted anything yet!" I am writing my first post ever, right now. When I do post more on my blog, however, it will be about books and movies that I review, about my own writing (the process, the publishing attempts, etc.), and about writing in general (but of course, not strictly limited to these if something else seems fitting).

Until I start blogging more frequently with content, here is a poem to hold you all over. I wrote it in my creative writing (poetry) class as an exercise of poetic sounds. Therefore, the poem consists heavily of rhyming and iambic feet (the da-DUM feeling throughout). Also, I contrast Latin root words with Germanic root words, creating an extra sonic quality. Enjoy!


Sonic Sense


Forget semantic sense
It is a sonic poem
Iambic feet intense
Will bring the sonnet home.

And now, the sound of feet:
Da-DUM da-DUM da-DUM.
Reflects the drummers beat:
Ba-DUM ba-DUM ba-DUM.

Remember, rude and plain
And short, and raunchy too
Germanic roots profane
Contrasts with Latin woo:

Aqua fire.
Inferno heaven.

2 comments:

  1. nice work (notice that "nice" has latin roots and "work" has german roots...)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't get it. I don't like poetry. Except for my own.

    ReplyDelete